Cost: The cost varies slight, depending on number of travelers accepting the option. Currently we have 4 going on this add-on. If a total of 6 go, the price per person will be an additional $3,100 per person based on double occupancy. If 8 go, the price decreases to $3,000 per person based on double occupancy. For those traveling alone, I have not confirmed the price for single supplement on this destination.
Lodge: Ol Tukai, located within the Amboseli National Park
Key Dates: AUGUST 30 – SEPTEMBER 3, 2019
- Arrive Nairobi on August 30,
- Arrive into Amboseli on August 31
- Depart Amboseli and return to Nairobi on September 3
- Flight with Safarilink from NBO Wilson to Amboseli and back
- Exclusive Use of Vehicle
- 3 Nights on Full Board basis in a double/twin room
- Airport Transfers
- 1 night at Tamarind (Nairobi) from the 30thto the 31st August in a double, B&B
- 3 days park fees
- Tips for drivers and staff
- Drinks and additional meals
- Any expenses of personal use
Basically, we are looking at a 4-night add-on. One would be an arrival night in Nairobi at Tamarind Lodge and then 3 nights in Amboseli. Following Amboseli, we would fly back to Nairobi where the base safari begins and we meet up with the other travelers.
While we will see many of these same species on our primary safari, the chance to view and photograph the Big Tuskers with the Kilimanjaro backdrop is a special treat.
Crowned by Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest peak, the Amboseli National Parks is one of Kenya’s most popular parks. Amboseli is one of the best places in Africa to see herds of the huge tusk elephants that are, unfortunately rapidly vanishing from the earth. We will also have a great chance to see many other species of wildlife as Amboseli is home to buffalo, impala, lion, cheetah, spotted hyena, Masai giraffe, Grant’s zebra, and blue wildebeest. A host of large and small birds occur too. The backdrop for our viewing will the spectacular Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest free-standing mountain in the world. Here is a link to the Kenya Park Services information on Amboseli: http://www.kws.go.ke/amboseli-national-park
Why Ol Tukai Lodge?
We examined several lodge options. We picked this specific lodge because it is actually located within the park, allowing us more time with the animals instead of losing time at entrance gates. We also found the cost of this park to be excellent when compared to other options near or in the park. Here is a link to the lodge web site: http://www.oltukailodge.com/
NOTE: This is an add-on option to our base safari. To participate in Amboseli add-on, you must be also registered to the primary safari. Information on that trip is found at this link.
The base Mara/Samburu safari is as follows:
- Day 1 (September 3) – The group will meet up at our hotel in Nairobi for a first night dinner and a chance to meet your hosts and fellow travelers.
- Day 2 – 6 (September 4 – 8), We head to Wilson airport early in the morning to board our private chartered flight to the Masai Mara. Our first five nights in the Mara will be spent at Mara Bush Camp
- Day 7 – 9 (September 9 – 11), We depart the Mara for our flight to Samburu. Where we will have a mix of game drives and chances to see and photograph the Samburu warriors at our amazing lodge.
- Day 10 (September 12), We Depart Samburu for our flights back to Nairobi where you will catch your flights back to the U.S.