For those who have joined us on our Great Migration Safari in the Mara but want even more from the trip, we offer the Shompole Wilderness Experience.
Sept 4, 2020 – September 8, 2020
$4,000 per person. Limited to maximum 6 participants
Deep in Kenya’s Southern part of the Great Rift Valley, between Amboseli National Park and Maasai Mara National Reserve is the Shompole conservancy and where Shompole Wilderness a small and exclusive little camp is located. Shompole offers something totally different than Amboseli or the Mara.
Our camp is nestled under the giant fig trees on the banks of the Ewaso Ngiro river, this unique tented camp is one of the few places in Africa that combines wildlife sightings in the Great Rift Valley with the opportunities to photograph Lesser and Greater flamingoes as they fly over the stunning pink, red, and yellow colors of the soda lakes of Lake Magadi and Lake Natron. In addition to the wildlife and soda lakes, this camp also allows us to photograph the true lifestyles of the local and welcoming Maasai community.
During our stay at Shompole you will have three very special and unique opportunities:
- We will have a 1½ hour helicopter flight with doors off. During the flight, we will fly over lush green wetlands where elephant graze in hip deep waters. And we will fly over plains where zebras and wildebeest run; however, the stars of the flight will be the opportunity to photograph flamingo flocks from the air as they cruise over colorful soda lakes of Magadi and Natron.
- Our game drives may see some of the wildlife you saw in the Mara such as zebra, gazelle and giraffe, but you will be photographing them in a very different way. The land here is a parched land with loads of dust being kicked up by each step of the animals. This adds amazing atmosphere to our photos. In addition, at this camp, we can drive off road to get optimal position to photograph. We can even get out of the vehicles to shoot from low angles.
- Last, but certainly not least, we head to a traditional Maasai boma (village). We will spend the afternoon with the Maasai and you will be introduced to a real Maasai family as they attend to milking goats and bringing in the cattle. This is not a village for tourists but a real living and working traditional Maasai family homestead. In this late afternoon light, with spectacular back lighting, you will photograph the herdsman on foot and with the dust. You will capture images full of mood and mystery. The photos of cattle in clouds of dust will be memories you will truly cherish once home again. This will be an authentic cultural experience and the Maasai we visit will not put on a show or a ‘sing and dance’ for us, or sell any curios. What they will do, is allow us into their world, to experience their everyday life. Special access to an ancient and authentic cultural experience awaits and you are welcome to take photographs.
Included in your trip:
- 1 night at The Tamarind Hotel
- Transfers via land to/from Shompole Wilderness
- 3 nights at Shompole Wilderness
- Alcoholic drinks are included
- Laundry service is included
- 1 ½ hour helicopter trip over the soda lakes
- All meals included (plus bottled water and tea/coffee)
- Game drives in private custom Land Cruisers (4 per vehicle)
- Magnum Excursions Guides in attendance
- Also included are the gratuities for our guides and lodge staff
Extras, not included in the trip:
- International Flights
- Visa fees if required