The cost of the trip is $7,800 per person based on double occupancy
Timing: Aug. 25 – Sept 8, 2017
Limited to Maximum 8 Guests (SOLD OUT)
This is an excellent safari for first timers as well as seasoned safari goers. The trip features stays on an exclusive houseboat along the Chobe River on the border of Nambia and Botswana, off road tracking in the amazing Madikwe Game Reserve and also a private custom tour of Cape Town and the surrounding wine country hosted by an expert guide.
We love Chobe National Park because:
- Every time we review images for gallery showings, invariably the highest percentage of ‘keepers’ were photos taken at Chobe.
- The Chobe River is one of the only rivers in Africa that affords photography from boats, allowing for a) wide open vistas with uncluttered backgrounds, b) extremely low angle shots with high impact and c) shots with action/gesture created by animals drinking and playing at water’s edge.
- During the winter months from May through September it is difficult to find a stretch of river where you cannot see wildlife. Literally, there will be some subject in sight at all times!
- We can access our accommodations flying major airlines. This helps us avoid the overly restrictive weight limits required by small bush planes.
We love Madikwe because:
- Unique wildlife that includes black rhino, white rhino, wild dog, brown hyena, lions, leopards, cheetah and ostrich.
- Unique ‘Tarrapin Hide’, a water level observation room located at the lodge.
- Off-road tracking: In Madikwe, we will be able to leave the road to track predators. This allows amazing viewing of lion, leopard and other predators.
- Our lodges are inside the reserve. As a matter of fact, it’s at a popular water hole, so you are assured of hearing elephant, lions, etc. as they announce their presence at the water hole. Imagine having morning coffee while watching zebra drink right across from you.
- Proximity to Johannesburg – The transfer from Madikwe on departure is by private coach and is only a four hour drive. Along the way, you will see several local villages and rolling farmlands that will give you a better sense of true southern Africa.
We love visiting Cape Town because:
- The harbor town of Cape Town is one of the prettiest cities in the world
- The coastline outside of the city is incredibly scenic with a mix of sand beaches, rocky beaches and areas with penguins and seals
- Table Mountain is one of the seven natural wonders of the world and is only minutes from our hotel.
- The nearby wine country has more than it’s share of beauty along with excellent wine tastings and amazing restaurants
Here is the itinerary:
JOHANNESBURG – (1 night)
Aug 25 – You will be met upon arriving in Johannesburg and transferred to our hotel which is very near the airport. This short arrival stay is perfect for meeting your fellow travelers and enjoying an arrival dinner while being briefed on what you can expect over the coming days.
Aug 26 – We have a mid-morning flight to Kasane, Botswana. This flight is included in the price of the trip. Upon arrival, we will be transfer to our lodge, the Cresta Mowana and immediately grab our gear for our first game drive.
CHOBE NATIONAL PARK, BOTSWANA – (2 nights in lodge, 3 nights on houseboat)
Cresta Mowana Lodge stay
Aug 26 – Afternoon game drive, lodging at Cresta Mowana Safari Lodge
Aug 27 – Morning and Afternoon game drive, lodging at Cresta Mowana Safari Lodge
Aug 28 – Morning game drive (land or boat) transfer to Pangolin Voyager houseboat
While staying at the Cresta Mowana Lodge your trip includes: park fees, guide fees, refreshments during activities, Breakfast and Dinner. We have an early morning snack of rusks and coffee, but our formal breakfast is at 10:00 a.m after the morning game drive. As this is quite a large meal late in the morning, lunch is not budgeted, but is available for a fee. Alcoholic drinks are extra
Pangolin Voyager Houseboat stay – The Pangolin Voyager is a fully staffed houseboat with 5 guest rooms, a second floor lounge and dining area and a top deck viewing area. This is the way to see Africa! This recently refitted craft is sold out for 2016, but we have been able to secure the vessel for 3 nights!
Aug 28 – Afternoon game drive from The Pangolin Voyager’s dedicated viewing boats, lodging on Pangolin Voyager
Aug 29 – Morning and afternoon game drives via boat, lodging on Pangolin Voyager
Aug 30 – Morning and afternoon game drives via boat, lodging on Pangolin Voyager
Included: The houseboat includes all meals & all local drinks, park fees, guide fees, daily sightseeing.
MADIKWE GAME RESERVE, SOUTH AFRICA – (4 nights) – Jaci’s Tree Lodge is incredibly ‘Africa’ while also feeling modern. The individual chalets all include en-suite bath. Located at the lodge is a water hole with both an elevated viewing station and a water level viewing hide (known as the Terrapin Hide) literally located within the water hole!
Aug 31 – After breakfast, we will transfer to Kasane airport and be flown to Gaborone, Botswana, which is on the southern border with South Africa. This flight is included in the price of this trip. We arrive at 11:30 a.m. and will be transferred to Jaci’s Tree Lodge in Madikwe Game Reserve.
Aug 31 – Afternoon game drive, lodging at Jaci’s Tree Lodge
Sept. 1 – Morning and Afternoon Game Drives, Brunch and Dinner daily, 24-hour game viewing also available at Terrapin Hide, lodging at Jaci’s Tree Lodge
Sept. 2 – Morning and Afternoon Game Drives, Brunch and Dinner daily, 24-hour game viewing also available at Terrapin Hide, lodging at Jaci’s Tree Lodge
Sept. 3 – Morning and Afternoon Game Drives, Brunch and Dinner daily, 24-hour game viewing also available at Terrapin Hide, lodging at Jaci’s Tree Lodge
Sept. 4 – Morning game drive and brunch then ground transfer to Johannesburg airport (JNB) for flight to Cape Town, South Africa. The ground transfer and flight to Cape Town are included in the price of the trip.
CAPE TOWN – (4 nights)
Sept. 4 – arriving in Cape Town in the late afternoon, we will be transferred to the Commodore Hotel in Cape Town where we will have dinner at a local restaurant
Sept. 5 – Sightseeing in Cape Town, Wine Country and nearby via private vehicle and private guide, Breakfast, lunch and dinner, lodging at Commodore Hotel
Sept. 6 – Sightseeing in Cape Town, Wine Country and nearby via private vehicle and private guide, Breakfast, lunch and dinner, lodging at Commodore Hotel
Sept. 7 – Sightseeing in Cape Town, Wine Country and nearby via private vehicle and private guide, Breakfast, lunch and dinner, lodging at Commodore Hotel
Sept. 8 – Plenty of time for morning shopping or sightseeing in Cape Town, once more we have our guide and private vehicle. The holiday will end with our late afternoon transfer to the Cape Town Airport (CPT) for your depart flights home.
PLEASE NOTE: This trip begins in Johannesburg and concludes in Cape Town. It is your responsibility to book flights from your home to Johannesburg and to book flights from Cape Town to your home. All other flights and transfers within Africa are covered in the trip costs.
The cost of the trip is $7,800 per person. This cost excludes airfare from the U.S. to Johannesburg and from Cape Town back to the U.S. Also excluded is laundry, tips and alcoholic beverages.