Meet Andrew Aveley
Andrews thoughts and matra:
21 years ago I encountered the creative beauty of the world through the lens, for the first time. The value of visual storytelling took hold of my artistic imagination and has developed ever since. The love affair I started with the African bush created the foundation of the photographic journey I will continue pursuing.
The peaks of mountain ranges can loom highest, yet the smallest flower or insect can capture my creativity in the same magnitude. Flora, fauna or angry ocean waves speak in light to me, and guide my creativity, to capture a moment that tells more than just a story: to make the emotion that I felt reality to whoever appreciates my vision…
Nature speaks with many sounds and a voice we try to learn, but silence always falls in Africa. This absence of sound is the canvas in which I start to paint with light, the smallest movement caught in the first breeze of golden light is my starting point each day I go out. Not knowing what beauty of Earth I will see will continuously excite me. Capturing that one amazing moment is always possible, yet the memory of just watching can also be more powerful…
Capturing and composing light is personal to the eyes that see, but faced with technology learning to be in unison with the equipment we hold is vitally important. To tell a true story of Africa, understanding my tools has become vital, and sharing this knowledge to inspire creativity has become my goal. The Eternal aspect of knowledge I pass on, another memory can be immortalised in time, with meaning that has personal qualities. This is a worthy gift, and a part of myself I will always give away.
A photographic journey is a moment that can be lost forever but captured in a single frame, in a language that only the memory can translate. An image that can translate this language and live with you forever is proof that sharing the love of light is the reason that I create photography.
Awards and Achievements
- Sony Pro Photo Awards – Winner 2009
- Fuji / Getaway Photographer of the Year 2010
- Nature’s Best Photography Windland Smith Rice International Awards – Finalist 2013/14
- BBC Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the year – Finalist 2011/12/13/14/15
- Africa Geographic photographer of the year – Finalist 2017
- Natures Best Africa AWARDS – Finalist 2017
- Wilderness Safaris Competition – Winner and runner up in Wildlife and Conservation photography 2019
Having your work shared in print and making a difference to conservation worldwide is extremely important to me.
- Outdoorphoto Portfolio 1 – Coffee Table Book Contributor 2010
- Outdoorphoto Portfolio 2 – Coffee Table Book Contributor 2014
- Landrover Magazine – Contributor 2015
- Remembering Elephants Project – Contributor 2015
- Remembering Elephants Project – Contributor 2016
- Remembering Rhino’s Project – Contributor 2017
- Remembering Lions Project – Contributor 2019
- Remembering Cheetahs Project – Contributor 2020
- Prints for Wildlife & African Parks – Contributor 2020
- E-BOOKS – Published Canon Focus System Series
- Self Published – An African Wildlife Photographer in your bag
- Self Published – An African Landscape Photographer in your bag
- Remembering Wild Dogs Project – Contributor 2021
- Prints for Wildlife & African Parks – Contributor 2021
- Conflict of Light – Journey of African Wildlife in Black and White 2021