Dates: July 10-19 plus Cape Town dates (TBD)
Cost: $6,900/person based on double occupancy for Chobe/Madikwe. The Cape Town portion to be determined, but budget $2,100/person for this option. Those needing a single supplement are asked to contact Buddy Eleazer at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss details.
Required Deposit: A deposit of $3,450 per person is required to hold your spot, $1,000 of which is non-refundable. The remaining cost will be divided into two equal payments: one due January 1, 2019 and the second due April 15, 2019. To book now, contact email@example.com
Group Size: maximum 8 plus group leader SOLD OUT! Contact us about 2020.
- Flight from Johannesburg (JNB) up to Kasane
- All food and lodging once you have arrived in Africa
- All park fees
- Airline flights from Chobe to Madikwe Game Reserve, South Africa all transfers to lodge and return to Johannesburg from Madikwe
- All alcoholic beverages at Chobe on Pangolin Voyager
- International flight to/from United States to Kasane, Botswana
- Laundry services (these are available at an extra fee)
- Optional flight to Cape Town from Johannesburg
- Activities in Johannesburg
- Alcoholic beverages at Jaci’s Tree Lodge or Cape Town
- Any gift purchases
This trip was designed to give the first timer a really nice overview of southern Africa. It takes you to two of my favorite reserves – Chobe and Madikwe and allows you to see them in high style. As an option, we are also planning a stay in Cape Town and it’s nearby wine country:
- At Chobe, we will cruise the riverfront in specially designed viewing and photography boats while relaxing during our free time on our custom houseboat. As we have our mid-day meal, the houseboat will be cruising the river and we will see elephants and Cape buffalo pass by our windows.
- At Madikwe, we will stay in an incredibly beautiful lodge with some of the best food Africa has to offer while doing our game drives in a land rich with lions, rhino and giraffe.
- Cape Town – Voted one of the most beautiful cities in the world and surrounded by spectacular mountain vista and gorgeous vineyards. One of the natural wonders of the world, a trip to the top of Table Mountain is a must.
- 4 nights – Chobe River, Namibia/Botswana border: On our second day, mid-morning we will fly to Kasane, Botswana and be transferred to our private fully staffed houseboat, the Pangolin Voyager, home for the next 4 nights. After some refreshments and getting settle in, we will head out onto the water in our special game viewing boats. For the next several days, we will have a basic schedule of early morning game drives, free time in the mid-day and afternoon game drives. Remember, this is your holiday, so that schedule can be adjusted as you wish!
- 4 nights – Jaci’s Tree Lodge, Madikwe, South Africa – After our 4-night stay on the houseboat, we will be transferred to the Kasane Airport and fly onward to Gabarone, Botswana where we will be transferred by vehicle across the border into Madikwe Game Reserve South Africa. Don’t be surprised if we see elephant, kudu or rhino along the way as our transfer to Jaci’s Tree Lodge is through the park, so it actually doubles as a game drive. After check-in, we will have or first afternoon game drive. We have exclusive use of two vehicles for our group. Like Chobe, our plan is to go out to see wildlife each morning and afternoon. Typical game drives last around 3 hours. Mid-way through each morning game drive, we will stop for a light refreshment and to stretch our legs. In the afternoon, we will stop for ‘sun downers’ at sunset. Sundowners are typically a cocktail (and snack) while watching the sunset. We will then commence a night game drive back to our lodge. The night game drives are always a favorite as that’s when the big cats go out to hunt, putting all of the game on high alert! I must say that I’ve taking guests to many lodges over the years, but I always hear that Jaci’s is their favorite of all of the lodges.
- Cape Town and Wine Country (optional) – After our 4 nights at Jaci’s we will have one final morning safari trip into nature and then have ground transfer back to Johannesburg (about a 4-hour journey), where we will catch our flight to Cape Town. I must confess that we haven’t fleshed out the details of Cape Town, but from past trips, I am anticipating this will be 3 to 4 nights in length and include Table Mountain, a trip out to the Cape of Good Hope, a chance to see endangered South African penguins and some time in South African wine country. If you haven’t been to Cape Town, my thoughts are that it’s like the best parts of San Francisco and Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, but with something like Napa Valley placed only 15 miles away. The food is also a culinary delight as the region has a fusion of native African and flavors from the early Dutch, British and Portuguese explorers and settlers.
Please Note: There has been some interest in a ‘pre-trip’ to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, which is less than 2 hours from Chobe National Park. If there is enough interest in this, we will work with everyone to add this to the itinerary as an extra optional charge.